Friday, October 29, 2010

I have a heavy heart.

Hello everyone,
I'm going to be pouring my heart and emotions into this post. I've been giving a lot of thought to my store and I have come to the decision to close it.
I've been going back and fourth with this for a long time now, the fact of the matter is that hand made is so very trendy right now, and instead of buying someones items, people are copying and recreating and turning around and selling them. Its a vicious circle that I'm quite frankly sick of dealing with. I'm tired of the sick to my stomach feeling I get when I see my design in some one's store. It's like I'm trapped in a world of unoriginal people that make unoriginal things and call it art. I'm sick of people straight up copying and calling it inspiration. It's such a fake front and it makes me sick, so I'm closing. I'm going to continue to make things because I LOVE to, and I'm going to teach other people how to make the things I love though my blog and let that be enough.

On a much lighter note I'll have a HUGE announcement in a few weeks.
I hope everyone has a great weekend and an amazing Halloween!
xo AO

11 comments:

  1. this is awful, but I know exactly what you mean. It's hard to pour your heart into something when others turn around and copy your creations and sell them for dirt cheap... just make things you love for the people you love. You will get way more satisfaction from this than you ever would a few extra dollars. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree whole heartedly. thats the plan for now. make what i love for who i love. and trading with my lovely bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I. Love. Your. Hair. Color.

    flkgjsdfljgs! I want it!!!!
    I wish I could pull it off :(


    But anyway, I totally get where you're coming from. I don't have an etsy store, but I have to guard my ideas with my life because in highschool, if you let your creativity wander off a little, some other chick will grab it all up! Mer.

    Oh and I'm wondering if you'd like to trade buttons, I just made a new blog for my art and I'm trying to build up a following and stuff.

    This comment is really ADD....

    ReplyDelete
  4. its sad that it has come to this. i think that your designs are amazing. i still look forward to the lovely DIY posts though! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are adorable! Just found you through Ashley's blog! I love your style & your craftiness, i'm following for sure :)
    I trade handmade...so if your interested, I totally am!
    xo, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. i decided to do the same thing last year. it is heartbreaking. i am looking forward to your DIY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you everyone for your love and support <3
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only just discovered your blog, so never got a chance to have a look at your etsy but it looks like you sold some really cute items, sad to hear that others stole your designs.
    Must also say from seeing your songbird saturday posts, you have excellent taste in music x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that's really sad but I understand. I agree with Ashley's comment 100%. Do what makes you happy. :) I'm sorry that you have had to deal with so much copying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a curse for all creative people. It so dispiriting. Chin up and keep taking joy in sharing with people you love!

    By the way, your hair looks amazing in those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I also found you through Ashley's blog. No matter what you decide, you have to know that you're the innovator and they're the imitators. Anything beyond that isn't worth stressing over. I hope you keep you're creativity flowing because it truly is a gift! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?